Welcome to Electric-Bikes.com
Electric Bicycles: Intro
|Intro||DIY Conversion Kits||E-Bikes||Folding E-Bikes||E-Bikes & the Law|
Rayos Electric Bike(formerly ElecTrec)
Here's the next big step in electric bike price/performance. Imagine a bike similar to the well-regarded pre-2006 Currie bike with a full suspension frame, a better battery system, more powerful motor, a motorcycle-style kickstand, stronger drive system, and superior quality throughout!
Like the Currie, the Rayos has a lot of torque, independent human and electric drive systems, and a drive system that freewheels when not in use. The electronics shut the motor off at 80% battery discharge to avoid a full discharge (which really shortens the life of lead-acid batteries). The Rayos is an 8-speed bike that uses standard bike parts. Seats, handlebars, brakes and other non-electric parts can be found at a supercenter or bike store. Electric parts can be obtained from Rayos dealers.
The 2008 Rayos follows the highly popular LashOut and ElecTrec bikes. Improvements over the LashOut include:
- a high-end 600-watt MAC Hi-Torque Brushless Motor that climbs hills and accelerates very well.
- a 14 amp-hour 24-volt battery system for extended range.
- a direct-drive freewheeling propulsion system with oversized bearings for reliability.
- sealed bottom bracket.
- improved front suspension(107mm travel).
- and 8-Speed Shimano Altus Derailleur with protector.
The Rayos (click for more info) = $1200 plus shipping. Available from:
- Electro RideTM, email@example.com, 415-579-1966. Or use this online cart to explore the options, capabilities and pricing.
Unlike other designs that use a throttle to control the motor, the Charger responds to pedaling. The half-horsepower (sustained power rate) electric motor uses programmable "torque-sensing" electronic controls to boost power in direct proportion to the rider's pedaling effort. The torque measurement system, a patent pending technology called the Impulse Systemâ¢, communicates with the Charger's controller to provide additional power to the rear wheel. The system can be set to provide the desired level of electric "boost" - add half, add equal, add two times, or 4 times your own effort (up to a maximum of 1/2 horsepower or 375 watts).
The Charger offers a range of up to 40 miles using assist level 1, and assisted speeds of up to 20 miles per hour - the legal maximum assist speed in most States. Beyond this speed you're on your own, and the motor freewheels so there is no drag. The Charger can be fully re-charged in 4 hours via the on-board charging system. Other features include: easy-to-use seven-speed Shimano Nexus shifting system; a two-chain drive system to ensure positive drive in all conditions; and easy quick-release for detaching the 24-volt drive system and its batteries. Because it powers through the gearing system, the motor assist works well climbing hills and speeding along the flats.
A five-button membrane switch allows you to enter a user defined PIN to turn on the system. Select Standby mode (no assist) or levels 1 through 4. At any time, use this keypad to change assist level or check the state of charge of the battery pack. Should you forget to turn off the system, don't worry. The system will automatically turn itself off after a period of idle time. This automatic electronic locking discourages theft and 'joy rides'. The battery-and-electronics pack is completely removable. Just pop the battery pack off the bike and lock your Charger bike to the closest bike rack. The generous handle makes this 24-lb. battery pack more comfortable to carry.
When choosing between a Charger and another market leader with similar battery capacity like the Rayos, consider what type of cyclist you are, the range you need to cover, and planned use.
- Type of Cyclist: If you're the type that pedals because you like to, you'll probably prefer the Charger.
- Range: If you plan to ride over 7 miles each trip, you'd be better off with the Charger (longer range and faster speeds).
- Planned Use: If you plan to commute to work and arrive with no hint of sweat, you'll prefer the throttle-control of the Rayos.
Retail Prices (click on item for more information):
Standard Model - $900
Comfort Model - $900. Same as Standard except for handlebars and seat.
Fenders - $30. Rear Rack - $40.
All three models available in gloss black, moss green, and candy blue.
- ElectroPortal, 236 W. Portal Ave. # 510, San Francisco, CA 94127, call first to arrange an appointment, firstname.lastname@example.org, 415-564-6378 or 800-522-8513
Click here for a quick list of features of the Charger electric bike.
Click here for in-depth information and photos about Charger bikes.
IZIP and EZIP Electric Bicycles
The leading U.S. developer and distributor of electric bicycles and electric scooters, Currie Technologies offers a wide range of proprietary E-bike technologies across several bicycle designs. In order to meet the needs of its target market, Currie offers a wide variety of bicycle types with varying intended uses and at a variety of price points. With a good, better, best approach to E-bike marketing, Currie starts with its EZIP brand for opening priced bicycles which are primarily sold through mass market and web-based retailers. The IZIP brand is reserved for its mid- to high-end offerings, sold primarily through full service, specialty retailers.
Since the late 90's Currie has sold LEVs under their own brand names (Currie Electro-Drive, IZIP and EZIP), and until 2008 marketed their products under a license agreement from the brands Schwinn, Mongoose and GT.
Incorporating a wide variety of drive system, control and battery technologies across their product line, Currie provides good bang-for-the-buck across a wide price range. EZIP bikes and scooters carry a six-month warranty and IZIP bikes carry a two-year warranty. For additional details and to view the entire range of products, visit the Currie Tech (Now IZIP website (http://www.izipusa.com/ ).
Retail Prices for E-bikes range from $2000 to $5000.
- NYCeWHEELS, 1603 York Avenue, NY, NY 10028, (212) 737-3078, www.nycewheels.com
- Find a local dealer at http://www.izipusa.com/
Day 6TM Patriot DreamE
Looking for fancy plastic parts and electronic gadgetry? You won't find it here. But, if you are looking for incomparable comfort and performance, then the DreamE is for you!!
The Patriot DreamE results from the combination of the popular Day 6 bicycle with the Kinetic8-Fun mid-drive motor kit. The unique Day 6 styling eliminates leaning forward, so you sit perfectly upright. That means there is no more stress on wrists, neck, back, and crotch. It also means a superior breathing position and a better way to enjoy the scenery. The step-through design makes for easy mounts and dismounts, while the low seat allows the rider to reach the ground with both feet for stability and safety.
The motor on the Patriot DreamE drives the chain and utilizes the gearing of the bike for remarkable power and speed. If you want more speed or hill climbing power, simply change the rear cassette. The motor is lightweight and mounted low on the frame for better balance. Unlike hub motors, this frame mounted motor allows you to remove wheels (e.g. to fix a flat) like a traditional bicycle - without any wires to disconnect and reconnect.
People often ask for a comfortable seat that fits their butt. This is it! The contoured seat, made with incredibly comfortable injection molded foam, is 16" wide for equal weight distribution. The seat is highly adjustable with seat height, seat depth, and surface angle all variable.
Patriot DreamE has motor cut-off brake levers and lighted battery indicator on the throttle. Some electric bikes have small tires which perform best on smooth streets. The DreamE has full size, 26" wheels for a safe and comfortable ride. Patriot customers have a choice of color, frame size (standard or small), seat style (contour or velo), motor power (350 / 500 / 750 watts), and battery chemistry (LFP).
Use this online cart to explore the options, capabilities and pricing.
Use this online cart if you want to buy bike and conversion kits seperately and assembly yourself (in the DIY section). These are the conversion kits available for Day 6TM Bikes: The CRYSTALYTE Hub, The ENDURO Hub, or The KINETIC8-FUN Mid Drive
- Two frame sizes fit riders from about 4'9" to 6'4"
- 52" wheelbase provides a smooth ride
- Shimano 8 speed derailleur and shifter
- Can be transported on most bicycle carriers that plug into a receiver
- Fenders, racks, other accessories available
- Motor warranted for 2 years, LiFePo4 battery warranted for 1 year, SLA battery warranted for 6 months
- Weighs less than 60 pounds
- Available in blue or burgundy
- Day 6 bicycles are available without motors, visit this online cart
- Electro RideTM, email@example.com, 415-579-1966.
Called the "Lexus of electric bikes" by some, the Hebb is a full-featured bike fit for commuting and neighborhood errands. Features not generally found on other bikes include fenders, center kick stand, sturdy (50-lb. capacity) luggage rack, chain guard, and integrated LED head- and tail-lights.
- 350-watt Brushless motor with internal gearing offers good low-end torque for starting and hill-climbing.
- Speedometer, bell and Schwalbe Puncture Resistant tires included as standard equipment.
- 7 speeds from the Shimano internal gear hub avoids derailleur problems.
- Disc brake in front and Shimano roller brake in rear.
- Suspension front fork.
- Aluminum frames available in silver for both styles (men's and step-through); also available in black for men's style.
Hebb's website presents specifications and features.
- or search for a local dealer at http://www.hebbebikes.com/dealers.php
Cool and comfortable electric bikes from Pedego
With a focus on style and comfort, Pedego Electric Bikes are comfortable to ride and designed to be fashionable and cool. All models blend fashionable retro-cruiser style with high quality electric components to carry you quickly and easily to wherever you want to go.
The Pedego lithium ion battery is friendly to the environment and uses a small amount of electricity to recharge. The average battery life is approximately 3-5 years with 500-1,000 charges which will power the Pedego electric bicycle for 10,000-20,000 miles.Highlights:
- 500-watt brushless, gearless motor on rear wheel (750-watt motor on tandem pictured below)
- 6-speed Shimano derailleur gears
- 20 mph using motor power only
- Twist-throttle variable speed control
- 6061 light-weight aluminum frame
- Avid BB-7 front disc brakes and Dia-Compe rear hub brake
- Wide variety of eye-popping frame and rim colors
- Go with the standard Step-Thru Comfort Cruiser style (pictured above), or Step-Thru Interceptor
Pedego offers the only electric tandem available.
Pedego Electric Bikes are leading the way in eco-friendly electric bike transportation, comfort, style, quality and technology.Available from:
- Pedego, 39 Peters Canyon Rd. Irvine, CA 92606, 800-646-8604, 714-464-4381, http://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com
- or search for a local dealer at http://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/dealers/
If you find this website useful and want to express your "thanks", please make a small (or large) contribution.
The eZeeBike has been a successful and sought-after line of e-bikes in Europe that are now available in the United States. Range of 30 miles and top assisted speed of 20 mph is possible with the three standard (non-folding) models. With well-crafted aluminum alloy frames and lithium batteries, these bikes are lighter than other electric bikes. Equipped with 250- and 350-watt silent (gearless) hub motors, eZee bikes come with many accessories as standard equipment. Different models may include: fenders, front shocks, suspension seat tube, Velo cycle computer , integrated front and rear lights, rear luggage rack with spring-loaded bar and integrated bungy chords, chain guard, and foldability.
The result are bicycles that are comfortable to ride and also provide wonderful power and range. They're ideal for doing everything from a cross-town daily commute, to weekly grocery shopping, to weekend "get fresh air and stay-healthy" rides.
- Electric Vehicles Northwest, 110 N 36th, Seattle, WA 98103, 866-349-2743, http://www.electricvehiclesnw.com/index.php/ebikes/ezee-ebikes
- Or search for a local dealer at http://ezeebike.com/distributors/
A2B Octave / Ultra Motor
A2B / Ultra Motor specializes in the design, sale, and support of Human Electric Hybrid Bicycles. Ultra Motor is excited about bringing smart transport to America. Were committed to helping consumers find the right LEV for their lifestyle making commuting fun, reducing transportation costs, and having a positive impact on the environment.
Designed for urban or suburban commutes, the A2B Octave (right picture) offers lightweight aluminum construction with full suspension. Add in its comfortable,oversized seat and you have a powerful ride that's easy to handle. When you don't feel like pedaling, the A2B offers unassisted power on demand for up to 20 miles at a cruising speed of 20mph. Plus, the A2B can be easily upgraded to double its range to 40 miles with the addition of a secondary battery pack and increase its carrying capacity with the addition of baskets and rear carrier bags.
- ELV Motors, 2070 Homestead Road, Santa Clara, CA 95050, 408-850-8191, https://www.elvmotors.com/, for more on the A2B Octave visit http://www.elvmotors.com/a2b-octave.html
- or to find a local dealer, go to http://www.wearea2b.com/us/e-bike-store
EcoBike offers a state of the art battery and frame design, and artfully combines the highest quality parts from the most competitive manufacturers Shimano, SRAM, and Cionlli, to name a few. The result is a masterpiece in convenience, reliability, and style. Combining style with functionality, EcoBike is a world-renowned designer of quality electric bicycles, sold all over Europe and North America.
EcoBike offers three e-bike models. The Vatavio fold-and-carry electric bike (pictured above) is innovative and well constructed. The Elegance (pictured below) is a classic design with step-through frame, offering an easy, comfortable ride. The Adventures revolutionary frame design allows for true versatility, going from the pavement to mountain trails with ease.
BATTERY POWER The Lithium-Ion Manganese battery power pack is lightweight, technologically advanced, and safe. EcoBike battery packs are UL and CE approved, exceeding safety and quality standards in the U.S. and E.U. EcoBike batteries are specially designed and manufactured for the EcoBike by a subsidiary of Lenovo / IBM ThinkPad. These batteries deliver the maximum consistent output and longevity. EcoBike batteries have been tested and proven, with over 100,000 units manufactured and a failure rate of less than 1%.
DRIVE MOTOR The EcoBike is powered by an innovative hub-mounted, brushless permanent magnet motor with a triple planetary gear drive system and proprietary heat resistant materials. The propulsion system delivers the highest torque and is the quietest in its class. The drive motor is nominally rated for continuous output at 360 watts (Elegance & Adventure) and 290 watts (Vatavio).
ELECTRONIC CONTROL The Zero-Smart-Start speed controller delivers ease of use and smooth drive control and offers a multi-function variable speed output. It is state of the art, producing consistent efficient power. The automatic Pedal Assist mode produces a power burst that dramatically assists the pedaling effort. The Zero-Smart-Start electronic throttle control allows the rider to relax and not pedal at all.
FRAME GEOMETRY EcoBike electric bikes have been specially designed with the daily commuter in mind. The frame is constructed from a high-strength, lightweight 6061 aluminum alloy that maximizes safety and durability. The enhanced frame design features comfort ergo-geometry that is more upright than a traditional mountain or road bike. Every EcoBike electric bike is outfitted with suspension on both front forks (except Vatavio) and seat post to deliver a smoother ride.
- NYCeWHEELS, 1603 York Avenue, NY, NY 10028, (212) 737-3078, http://www.nycewheels.com/
- or to find a local dealer, go to http://ecobike-usa.com/ and click the Dealers tab.
OHM has worked together with BionX (hub motor kit) and Moli Energy (Lithium batteries) to create a power assist drive system with exceptional range and features. Five models are available - three Urban models (pictured) with upright position for a more comfortable ride and two Sport models with mountain bike styling.Command Console
In a single screen, with simple controls, the BionX command console displays important travel information and allows the rider to easily switch between different power modes. In assistance mode, the display indicates the power supplied by the battery. In generative mode, the display indicates the energy transmitted to the battery. The console is a multifunctional odometer and displays:
For security, the command console includes an alarm system with a 4 digit PIN (personal identification number). If the bicycle is moved while the alarm system is activated, the motor will instantly go into generative mode 4 and the alarm will sound.
- current speed, distance traveled, odometer, trip meter and average speed
- a meter indicating level of energy being used or generated
- assistance or generation percentage level
- battery charge indicator
The BionX motor is a brushless direct current generative wheel motor and is capable of peak power output of 700 Watts (450 Watt for the 250 Watt series motor). The silent motor features a microprocessor that calculates your thrust and compensates for the weakest leg to ensure a smooth ride.
- Brushless and gearless design requiring no maintenance.
- 4 power modes: the motor compensates your pedaling power by 25%, 50%, 100%, or 200%, depending on the power level selected.
- 4 generative modes: the battery can be recharged at four strength levels when riding, braking or going downhill.
- Magnetic field drive technology with no friction or wear inside the motor. ("Tested over 72,000 kms / 45,000 miles and no maintenance was required.")
- Completely sealed hub so you can ride in the rain and snow.
- Thermal protection to prevent overheating.
OHM bicycles use E-One Moli Energy (Canada) Ltd’s Lithium-ion battery packs to deliver the safest and highest power of any mid-large e-bike battery currently available on the market. With advanced protection, performance, and convenience, Li-ion batteries are fast charging and maintain steady power output throughout their lifespan. The e-bike battery packs are specifically configured to work with the BionX motor for optimum range and performance.
Each pack contains high capacity li-ion cells and superior BMS (battery management system) that monitors voltage, current and battery temperature. The BMS has three main functions:
The system also includes a "smart" charger that will charge the battery in approximately 4 hours. When completed, charging stops, an indicator light illuminates and the battery automatically returns to power-save mode. Lithium-ion batteries do not retain memory and maintain steady performance during their lifespan.
- Safety – prevents overcharge, over discharge, external short circuit, and over temperature
- Performance - enhances performance by cell balancing during charge
- Convenience - fuel gauging and communications
- The New Wheel Electric Bikes, 420 Cortland Ave, San Francisco, CA,415-524-7362, http://newwheel.net/products/ohm
- NYCeWHEELS, 1603 York Avenue, NY, NY 10028, (212) 737-3078, www.nycewheels.com
- Search for a dealer at http://www.ohmcycles.com/wheretobuy
Yuba elMundo cargo bike
Yuba Bicycles invents, designs and manufactures Utility Bikes and Electric Cargo Bikes to meet today's transportation needs and environmental challenges. They offer maximum utility and comfort whether you are a young Mum dropping kids off to school or an entrepreneur using the bike for business purposes. The Yuba Bicycles line is acclaimed and enjoyed all around the globe for its affordability, ride quality, the quality of the accessories.
The Yuba elMundo cargo bike comes equipped with the highly-regarded eZee kit for powering up hills and hauling heavy loads. Also standard is the Cycle Analyst, which has become the e-meter of choice for keeping track of battery usage and performance characteristics.
Running Errands, Getting Groceries, Replacing the mini-van: An electric cargo bicycle is a new breed of vehicle, half bicycle, half electric vehicle. The Mundo Cargo Utility Bicycle rides like a regular bike and gives you the capacity to haul at least 6 large bags of groceries. You can then save money, conserve resources, stay healthy, change your mobility, and transform your world.
Customize and accessorize the Mundo Cargo Bike to meet your family's needs:
- The Go-Getter is a spacious, top-quality bag that is easy to attach to the Yuba Mundo Cargo Bike and other longtail bicycles. Designed in Berkeley, CA the Go-Getter handles almost anything you throw at it, including foul weather.
- The Peanut Shell Baby Seat offers everything we demand for our children to your youngest passengers.
- The Stand Alone kickstand offers a large and stable base when deployed. It keeps the bike nicely balanced when you are loading it with groceries, kids, or kayaks.
- The Soft Spot offers your passengers a comfortable padded seat that's easily installed on the rear rack.
- The Hold On kit gives your passengers a strong and steady handlebar that will help them stay safe and secure while perched atop the bike's platform.
- The Rumble Strap provides rack riders something to hold onto. Adult riders will appreciate a 9" rubber handle, built into the webbing and big enough for two hands.
- Running Boards provide the perfect support for your passenger's feet.
- Keep your front wheel in check when using our dual kickstands by attaching the Deflopilator to your down tube.
- Cam Straps are perfect for attaching boxes, surfboards, guitars, tools, etc.
- Wheelskirts provide an extra dash of safety for small feet. Keep shoelaces, loose clothes and other dangly bits safely out of your rear spokes.
- Yuba Bicycles LLC, 409 Petaluma Blvd. South, Suite C, Petaluma, CA 94952, Phone: 707-559-5720, http://yubabikes.com/bikes/el-mundo/
- or from a local dealer: http://yubabikes.com/buy-now/dealer-locator/
Stromer e-bikes are designed from the ground up to allow riders of all sorts to get out and go anywhere! Stromer combines the ambiance of Swiss design with the finest motor and battery technology in the world, to bring you a ride like no other!
The Stromer is tailored for riders of all types and skill levels. The patented "dual power system" allows for power-on-demand riding (limited to no pedaling), with a top speed of 20 mph and a range of up to 20 miles. Feel like pedaling? Just switch to pedal-assist mode and let the state-of-the-art torque sensor augment your pedaling efforts with motor assistance. Pedal-assist mode allows for 45+ mile range. Charging is easy with their patented removable battery system. Simply unlock the internal battery storage case on the frame, remove the battery, and charge up with any 115V power outlet (onboard charging is also available).
Features and Benefits
Strommer comes in two models ST1 and ST2. Learn more at the Stromer website.
- Modern and elegant Swiss design, with premium craftsmanship and product detail.
- Dual power modes (pedal assist allows for motor assisted exercise, or power on demand when you simply want to cruise effortlessly).
- Maximum Range: up to 20 miles (power on demand) up to 45 miles (power assist)
- Proprietary Smart Battery management system provides accurate state of charge indication, cell balancing, and over heat protection.
- Silent brushless motor, allows for quite operation.
- Industry leading warranty and best in class customer support.
- NYCeWHEELS, 1603 York Avenue, NY, NY 10028, (212) 737-3078, www.nycewheels.com
- Blazing Saddles, 2555 Powell St., San Francisco, CA 94133, 415-202-8888. They rent Stromers for bike tours. http://www.blazingsaddles.com/
- or search for a dealer at the Stromer Dealer Locator
How do you get across the benefits of a Panasonic mid-drive motor, or the quick handling of lightweight 26” rims, or the incredible stopping power of Avid Elixir hydraulic disc brakes? The Focus Jarifa Speed could be compared to a high end manual transmission sports car.
One reason for doing so is the way it is powered, which works in a manner that would be familiar to someone accustomed to a manual transmission car. Like a car, you start in a low gear and work your way up as you gain speed. Since the motor runs through your transmission as opposed to applying power directly to the axle, the gear you’re in really matters. The importance of gearing connects you much more to the road and the terrain, which means you are a more active rider than when using throttle-controlled electric bikes.
This bike is designed for quick handling and high speeds, and not for comfort per se. The Focus is all about form following function. This is both good and bad: you have a bike that is sleek, powerful and nimble, but you also are going to be crouched over the front wheel for better control, gripping no-nonsense grips and riding a saddle meant for performance, not cruising.
The Focus comes with lots of extras: front and rear lights, bell, fenders, chain guard and rack. The Panasonic drive system that powers it is the same unit that was on the Kalkhoff bike that climbed to the top of the Pikes Peak bicycle race, one of only 3 types of bikes to survive this 8000 foot 20-mile climb in 2012. The Panasonic drive system is a well built piece of E-bike engineering which drives the bottom bracket and powers the rear wheel through the same drive chain as the rider. It is only available on OEM bikes which have been-purpose built using it. It stands as one of the most refined mid-drive systems ever built.
The Panasonic Akku cells used in this pack are among the best lithium polymer cells Panasonic makes, which is one of the finest names in the industry for lithium battery technology. This means the pack will give you years of long life without worries about a battery fire or breaking down. The battery, along with the rest of the components of this electric bike, come with a 2-year warranty. The bike comes with a relatively fast 200-watt charger that will refill this pack in only 2.5 hours. And the battery locks into the bike with a key lock, good for preventing theft. The battery pack includes a built in battery meter that shows battery level whether it’s on or off the bike.
- Super high-capacity Panasonic battery (26V 18ah)
- Legendary Panasonic Mid-Drive Motor for superior hill climbing
- Built for commuting - integrated LED dynamo lights, rear rack, fenders, and thick road ready Schwalbe Big Apple tires.
- Avid Elixir 3 hydraulic disc brakes
- SRAM Force Drivetrain
- 2-Year Limited Warranty
Learn more at the Focus website, or this dealer's website: http://www.newwheel.netAvailable from:
- The New Wheel Electric Bikes, 420 Cortland Ave, San Francisco, CA,415-524-7362, http://www.newwheel.net/index.html
Kalkhoff's electric-assist bicycles start with the same high-quality, sleekly designed bikes that Kalkhoff has been developing for 90 years. A state-of-the-art, brushless, centrally-located motor provides a smooth, predictable power-assist directly to the drive train. Kalkhoff e-bikes come fully-equipped with a variety of features to ensure that your commute, shopping trip, or outing is safe, comfortable and fun.
All Kalkhoff bikes come with lots of extras: hub or motor powered front and rear lights, bells, fenders, chain guards and racks. Some include a built-in quick-lock or a rack-mounted pump. There are a number of features available for the discerning cyclist, whether it's the Magura hydraulic brakes, the B&M super-bright hub-powered headlight, the top-of-the-line Shimano internal hub or derailleurs or the three-layer powder-coated paint process.
A Kalkhoff Pedelec is a lot more than simply bolting a motor onto a great bike. Their electric-assist bicycles utilize a brushless DC motor system that is lightweight, precisely-controlled, efficient, low-maintenance, and reliable. The Panasonic drive system is center drive, meaning that it's designed to be in the middle of the bike for a low center of gravity, stability and an easy integration with the drivetrain. The drive unit is more than just a motor; it also has a torque sensor and controller unit as well - all in the weatherproof casing, surrounding the motor. The torque sensor and the controller senses how hard you're pedaling and adjusts how much assistance the motor gives you through the drive sprocket.
Kalkhoff enjoys an enviable reputation by virtue of a long and revered history based upon obsessive craftsmanship and insistence upon only the most indestructible and ecologically attuned processes, materials and components, together with the most stunning and intuitive technologies available. Their bikes are over-engineered to over-perform and yet stubbornly maintain value over time.Learn more at the Kalkhoff website.
- The New Wheel Electric Bikes, 420 Cortland Ave, San Francisco, CA,415-524-7362, http://newwheel.net/products/kalkhoff
- Kalkhoff USA, 528 NW 11th Ave., Portland, OR 97209, 503-220-2300, http://www.kalkhoffusa.com/
- Or search for a dealer nearest you from their website http://www.kalkhoff-bikes.com/en/service/dealer-search.html
HANEBRINK Electric All-Terrain
(Review extracted from GizMag.com)
It will be of little surprise to learn that the Hanebrink all-terrain vehicle was designed by six time Mountain Bike national class champion and former U.S. National Team member Dan Hanebrink. It's based on 1993's Extreme Terrain fat tire pedal bike and is made to order at the Fortune Hanebrink workshop at Big Bear Lake, California. Echoing the philosophy of many electric assist bicycle makers, Hanebrink says: "We are not trying to replace standard bicycles, we want to replace cars and trucks."
The Hanebrink all-terrain vehicle's lithium ion 10 amp hour battery (LiFePO4) will give the bike enough juice for about an hour's use on a single charge, which will take three hours. The rear rack could have up to five batteries fitted which will extend the run time to over five hours. The wide aluminum rear rack is otherwise capable of carrying over 100 pounds of cargo.
The bike recently took first place at the Interbike Hill Climb Challenge, a third of a mile sprint up a six per cent gradient hill. Fortune powered in front of professional riders to secure a decisive win in the first of an annual competition especially created for electric assist bikes. The race was sponsored by the Light Electric Vehicle Association (LEVA).
Learn more at the Hanebrink website.Available from:
- Fortune Hanebrink Inc., Big Bear Lake, California, 424-235-0222, www.fortunehanebrink.com
Optibike: The Leader in
High Performance Electric Bikes
Safe and smooth operation at 30+ mph.
Industry leading design combines high performance, efficiency, and style.
Optibike combines speed, long run times and exceptional hill climbing ability in an integrated package with style. Each bike is hand-built in Boulder, Colorado by a team of professionals with an eye for detail.
- Safe and smooth operation at 30 mph +
- Amazingly, up to 120 minutes run time
- Batteries are stored inside Optibike's monocoque frame
- 500W, 700W and 850W motors available
- 13Ah NiMH or 20Ah 20ah Li-Ion battery with a 3 year warranty
Twice the speed - with half the effort, Optibike has the power. On a test ride in Boulder Colorado, a fit road cyclist was able to climb the notorious Old Stage Road at 10 MPH sitting down with an easy spin on the Optibike. On his ultra light road bike, he had to stand and grind all the way to go 5 mph!!! Twice the speed - half the effort, Optibike has the power.
Optibikes speed is achieved with Derivative Power Control (DPC) which allows for incredible acceleration while still providing super long run times. State of the art, fuzzy logic programmed into the Optibike computer continually adjusts the power to provide for optimal distance.
The complete integration of the Optibike is achieved from the ground up with a disign focused on high performance, safety, and ease of operation. Front and rear long travel suspension with disc brakes gives the rider confidence. The fully integrated package gives the utmost in convenience allowing the rider to ride on road, off road and the up or down the steepest hills. Optibike is in a class of its own. The Monocoque frame has sleek styling and a low center of gravity for stable handling. All electronics and long-running battery are safely housed inside the frame.
Prices range from $3500 to $14,000. Delivery time is typically several weeks, but can be affected by inventory.
- Opti-Bike LLC, 6859 North Foothills Highway, Boulder, CO 80302, 303-443-0932, http://www.optibike.com
- Or find a dealer near you: https://optibike.com/dealer-locator/
Stealth Electric Bikes
High Performance Electric Motorbikes
Stealth Electric Bikes redefine the ride experience. With a top speed of 30 mph (Fighter) and 50 mph (Bomber) in virtual silence, they are the toughest and most powerful hybrid electric bikes available anywhere in the world. Stealth bikes combine cutting edge technology with pedal power allowing the rider to experience the freedom, silence and agility of a mountain bike, with the acceleration, speed and thrill of a dirt bike.
High torque and electronically controlled power curves allow for precise traction control. This limits wheel spin and maximizes power transmission to the ground, while leaving a minimal environmental footprint. Stealth electric bikes come with the powerful 6 piston hydraulic brake callipers which bite hard with only 1 or 2 fingers on the levers.
Standard front suspension is the 7” conventional single crown forks. With 2 dials to adjust compression and rebound adjustment and air adjustment for preload, these forks are light weight and versatile enough for most situations. For heavier or more adventurous riders, the forks can be upgraded. The rear suspension is adjustable for casual every day riding or more aggressive off road environments.
How far can I go on a single battery charge?
That depends on the rider, terrain, wind conditions and how much you want to pedal. The faster you go, the quicker the battery will drain. A minimum range of approximately 25 miles (without pedaling) is achievable, but some smart riding, along with use of the gears and pedals will see this easily increase to 37+ miles. Here are some estimates :
Flat out in the dirt: 25+ miles. Normal riding: 31+ miles. Efficient riding (includes pedaling): 37+ miles .
Prices range from $10,000 (3.7kW) to $12,000 (5.2kW).Learn more at http://stealthelectricbikesusa.com
- ELV Motors Inc., 2070 Homestead Rd., Santa Clara, CA 95050, 800-257-1759, http://www.elvmotors.com/
- or find a local dealer at http://www.stealthelectricbikes.com/stealth-dealers/
For detailed information on hundreds of e-bikes, visit http://electricbikereview.com/.
If you find this website useful and want to express your "thanks", please make a small (or large) contribution.